Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lets talk about dipes...POCKETS

Pocket Diapers, How do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

I think it's safe to say that I adore pocket diapers. When I first got my first pocket diapers after using prefolds my first thought was, "These things are THE BOMB!". They are the simple, easy, and modern way to cloth diaper.

Pocket diapers are made up of a waterproof shell sewn to a super soft material that goes right up against your baby's skin to form a pocket. The pocket is generally in the back of the diaper and can be stuffed with as much or as little as you want depending on your needs. When purchased new, they usually come with a microfiber insert that is ultra absorbent.

They can come in "one size" which will usually fit from about 8lbs-35lbs depending on the diaper. Or sized, for a less bulky fit and more limited size range. Sized pocket diapers usually come in newborn/extra small, small, medium, and large.
pictures from bumGenius


I prefer "one size" because it's easier on my pocket book and because it's less to buy and I'm super cheap :). You can find one size diapers from $10 all the way up to $25 or more. It's not the cheapest way to cloth diaper but it can be affordable depending on the brand. The first pocket diapers I bought were Kawaii Baby. Right now I can't, in good conscience, recommend the retailer I bought them from, but Sew Crafty Baby sells them for $9.25 and with free shipping and discount codes for "liking" them on Facebook, you can snag a great deal. The diapers themselves are great though. They're still really soft and strong after all of these months. I have not had any issues with them so far.

I've recently fallen in love with probably one of the most popular cloth diaper brands out there, bumGenius. A friend of mine first sent me one while we did a "diaper exchange" (a great way to get with your other cloth diapering friends and try out new brands without spending the money!). It was the first pocket diaper I tried with aplix and I was hooked. I could get a much better fit with the aplix and it was so much faster! I found another one at a consignment store for $1.99! and that propelled my love for them. I had to have MORE! The aplix is a "must have" for this stage that we're at...you know, the one where your baby is screaming at every diaper change and attempting to barrel roll of the changing table. Each time I get the diaper secured on her I feel like throwing up my arms and yelling "time!" as if I were a calf roper.




We usually stuff our pocket diapers with one microfiber insert or one tri-folded prefold. For night time we stuff it with either two microfiber inserts, a prefold wrapped around one microfiber, or microfiber and hemp cotton. The possibilities are endless!


So without further ado...
 One size bumGenius 4.0 with micrifber insert. See how it snaps down for a custom fit?

 The pocket! bumGenius have a microsuede inner that is ultra-soft and stays that way for a long time.

 Just stuff the insert in the pocket and you're ready to place it on your baby.

 The aplix makes it so easy to use! It's just as easy as putting on a disposable. (I have this snapped down to the medium setting) Baby E is appx 19lbs and 27 inches long. 9months old.

 Another great brand, Fuzzi Bunz!

 Their version of the sizing is really cool and very clever! You pull the elastic to the button that corresponds with the number that best fits your baby. There are two openings to size it on the legs so they get pretty tiny.

 Sizing on the back is just as important to keep those messes in.

 I really like how soft and trim this diaper is. They don't come in aplix so that is a bit of a downfall for me right now, but I still love this diaper. It's the trimmest diaper we have by far. I also think it can be used sooner on newborn babies compared to other one size diapers. 

 bumGenius compared to the FuzziBunz. The BG is much longer but the FB has a lot more contour to it so its trimmer through the thighs.


 One size Kawaii minky bamboo. This diaper is a little different because it has an organic bamboo terry on the inside (so it feels similar to a bath towel, but still really soft) it does not wick away any moisture from your baby's skin so keep that in mind. It came with two bamboo inserts that are much thinner than microfiber. This is a great alternative for babies with ultra-sensitive skin or those of you that prefer organic or natural materials.

 Minky is very soft and cuddly

Baby E wearing her Kawaii diaper. It's still on the smallest rise setting so this diaper should last quite a while.


These are just a few of the brands I've tried and really liked. Pocket diapers really are the easy and modern way to cloth diapering. They are easy enough for dad and grandma to use and great for long trips, traveling, and everyday errands. Are you impressed yet?

As always, please share your favorite pocket diapers and your favorite way to stuff them!

2 comments:

  1. I like bumGenius, too! And besides the Kawaii that you loaned me, I only have those and some Happy Heineys. The HH are not my fav ... they are cut wider and not as trim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, calf roping! so true, so true!! :)

    ReplyDelete